Sunday, October 7, 2018

MOD 6

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?

1.) In the video "Through the Eye's of the Sculptor", we followed master scultpter Emmanuel Fillion create a new marble sculpture. It was very interesting having a visual to follow for the steps of creating a sculpture, from start to finish. I found Emmanuel very informative as an artist and enjoyed a lot of his insight. I really loved how he described sculpture as coming alive in the clay, dying in plaster and reborn in marble. What also stuck with me is when he talked about the piece becoming alive when he can visualize and sketch the image in his head. I also learned in restoration sculpting that sculptors rarely work on the whole piece, but are assigned a section of the sculpture. 
In the "Glass and Ceramics" video, I learned that ceramics are made from clay, while glass is made from sand. I was very intrigued about the process of creating a stained glass piece. I have always found stained glass art in churches and other buildings very beautiful. The artist must really observe and take note of how the light affects the room of the stained glass window. The artist then makes a small scale size of the stained glass piece that is about 1/10th of the size. I found it interesting that they made the small piece first before then sketching a full size drawing of the window. 

2.) Both videos help to further reiterate the steps in creating scultpures, glass and ceramics in the text. As a visual learner, being able to watch the step by step process of creating such pieces helped me have a better understanding. These artists must demonstrate patience and a certain level of technicality when creating. 

3.) I really enjoyed both films, but I definitely feel like I got more out of the video,"Through the Eyes of a Sculptor". Watching a master sculpter, like Emmanuel work, and his techniques really helped me to better understand the process of creating a scultpture. The videos allowed for a deeper understanding of how sculpture, installation and craft are all related in some way. I feel like a certain level of craft is required while creating anything, especially a sculpture or installation. Sculpture could definitely be a part of an installation, they are both structural creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mod 15 Self Portrait

Portrait of James Baldwin Beauford Delaney 1965 Portrait of Armand Roulin Vincent van Gogh 1888 Portrait of Armand Roulin...