Sunday, November 4, 2018

Module 10 Mask

1. Upload the three (3) inspiration images to your Blog (or link to your Photobucket account). Explain why you selected the inspiration pieces.

2. Include the analysis and description (art criticism steps) of the three (3) inspiration pieces.

3. Upload images of your sketchs and finished piece.

4. Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.

5. Share your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask

1.)
    a.) 
I chose this mask because of the mix of bright colors used grabbed my attention. Also the formation of the teeth and horns intrigued me.

    b.)
 I chose this mask because of how elaborate and intricate the painting of the snake skin looks. All the small, intricate detail in the mask caught my eye. I also like the large, decorative earrings on the mask because it reminds me of gauged ears.

 c.)
  I chose this mask because of the beautiful and delicate patterns created in the mask. The small flowers and swirl patterns line the top of the mask in a precise and thought out matter.

2.)
  a.) The mask appears to mimic the face of a devil, with it's grinning red face showing sharp white teeth. Bold, blue horns protrude from the head and point towards the sky. On top of the head their is what appears to be possibly some type of lizard perched on the skull. We can see the element of color used in this mask because of the rainbow of colors used for different features on the mask. The intensity of the red face reinforces that the resemblance of the devil in the mask. Movement is created in the mask by the strong expression and exaggeration of features that make the eye bounce around the mask.

b.) The mask has a grinning face, bearing sharp fangs from its rusted, red lips. There is large , dangling earrings hanging from the ears of the face. The top of the mask holds a large elaborate cobra snake. Texture is created by the details if the cobra's scales, because of the intricate and precise painting. The curves sculpted in the cobra snake create movement in the mask.

c.) The mask has a rustic, bronze color with small intricate raised designs placed throughout. The top part of the mask mimics a lace like texture with the detailed swirls and patterns. While bronze seems to be a main color, hints of black are in the flowers and bands along the top of the mask. The repetition of patterns on the top of the mask create rhythm in the mask. The symmetry of the patterns on either half of the mask emphasize the principle of balance. The raised swirls and rough bumps in the mask add the element of texture to the mask.

3.)


4.) I used the element of color in my mask by choosing very bold and intense colors. I wanted the fierce red to contrast with the cool tones of the greenery sprouting from the middle of the face. I used the principle of balance in my mask by trying my nest to create a symmetry with my placement of the facial features and leaves up top. I chose the prickly plant in the middle to add the element of texture to the mask. I collaged the teeth, eyes and mouth on the mask to also create texture and space in the mask.
5.)I am happy with the outcome of my mask because I was able to be inspired by different cultures to create a piece of my own. It allowed me to be more mindful of my creation process and I was able to play around with the elements and principles of art. I especially took balance and color into consideration while creating my mask. It was fun collaging different pieces together to create a whole image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mod 15 Self Portrait

Portrait of James Baldwin Beauford Delaney 1965 Portrait of Armand Roulin Vincent van Gogh 1888 Portrait of Armand Roulin...