Sunday, November 4, 2018

Module 10 Videos

1.) I chose the video "African Art" because after the readings in the book I was interested in learning more about the art styles developed in Africa and the history behind them.  I chose the video "Hinduism" because it has always been a religion that has peaked my interest. I have always been curious about the Hindu ideas of life and death, so I knew I would enjoy watching the video.

2.) After watching the video, "African Art" I  learned that most museum pieces from tropical Africa that were made from wood or straw were less than 200 years old. Wood and straw are not material that held up well in the humid weather of tropical Africa so older pieces deteriorated over time. I the video they also described African Art being conceptual, because the focus was on more of a interior set of ideas rather than objective reality. The power of symbolism was very important in African Art, and to communicate ideas through strong imagery.

After watching the video, "Hinduism", I learned that everything in Hindusim is symbolic, and it is reflected the art and architecture. Mamabalipuram is where the ganges turns to stones, and carved into the stone is a story about the decent of the Ganges to Earth. Ancient people turned natural rock formations into cave art. In Hindu art the epic and the ordinary are often shown side by side.

3.) Both videos gave me more information on the culture and history behind the artworks created by both groups. Understanding more about the Hindu religion really tied into the art we studied in the readings, and gave me more background information on why they created.

4.) Personally, I really enjoyed watching and listening to both of the films I chose. Understanding more about the cultural significance behind the art forms created and the meanings was very powerful. From the "Hindusm" video the line, "When the body wears, the self that is within, discards which contains it" described the soul moving on from its body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mod 15 Self Portrait

Portrait of James Baldwin Beauford Delaney 1965 Portrait of Armand Roulin Vincent van Gogh 1888 Portrait of Armand Roulin...